Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lemony Chicken Quinoa Dinnery Thing Part 2



OK Dinner is done and eaten! Here is how I would make it if I made it over again (and it was pretty darn tasty so I probably will!):

Same ingredients EXCEPT add 2 cups more of water as that Quinoa sure does soak it up!! Also there is virtually NO salt going on in here. I added Lawry's Seasoned Salt to taste. I think I used about a teaspoon of it or so. Not sure though...just put a bit in and test, then repeat :)

A note about the lemon: The lemon in our opinion tasted GREAT. IF YOU LIKE LEMON!!! It adds a nice tangy aftertaste. You will have to pull out the rinds though as the inside part dissolves and the rinds break apart. No biggie but if you serve it to kids you may want to sift through or find a better way (just put in the inside part maybe?).

I also think that cooking it for less time perhaps would result in more of a soup than a stew. Its very thick if you cook it for 7 hours even on Low. 5 hours would probably do.

I am thinking this would make a GREAT weight loss dinner. Quinoa is the only thing that has real calories in it (ok ok so does the chicken) and it has 162 cal per 1/4 cup dry. I used 1 cup dry in this stew. When you cook it the outer part which is indigestible separates from the inner part and forms a little curly "s". Its extremely filling so you wouldn't need much, and it has a LOAD of good stuff in it:

Its protein content is very high (12%–18%), making it a healthy choice for vegetarians and vegans. Unlike wheat or rice (which are low inlysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete protein source.[4] It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten-free and considered easy to digest.

Caution: I do not know for sure yet, but because of the amount of fiber in this, 7g per half cup, it may cause GAS!!! LOL!!! I didn't think of that till I ate a whole bowl oh boy!! Its gonna be a fun evening!!!

1 comment:

  1. Were your kids home? Evalina won't eat quinoa (she's tried it a couple of ways), and Philip is more ambivilent.

    ReplyDelete