Thursday, August 1, 2013

Morning Mess!

I got up somewhat early to get my son ready to go hiking up Camel's Hump with his dad this morning.  I have been trying to be a better housekeeper so as soon as I come downstairs I clean the kitchen, take care of the dishes, and sweep and vacuum the floor (its white, because someone thought it would be fun to put white vinyl down in a g-d kitchen) and then have my coffee and eat breakfast.

I got the kitchen all pretty except for the Eternally Cluttered Counter which seems to breed crap when I'm not looking, and went up stairs to make my bed and get dressed.  The girls had gone downstairs and Alex had left for the day.  I sat down to continue cleaning out my computer (the kind of housework I probably shouldn't be doing) since it has been running slow lately, when I hear "OH NO!" and "OOPS!" in a midget voice.

I gently laid my forehead down on my keyboard wrist cushion and closed my eyes.

"MOM there's a HUGE MESS of cereal down here!!!  Autumn spilled Kix everywhere!!!"

All I could picture was a sopping milky mess of soggy nasty sticky yellow balls and me going through a million paper towels and having to mop and fight the cats to get the milk cleaned up.  Did I mention that I ran out of both coffee k-cups AND creamer so I hadn't had my go-go juice?

I sighed and got up, walked downstairs, and to my slight relief saw this:


Thank you, God, that it was DRY CEREAL and not the nightmare I had imagined.  

"Autumn, what the heck happened?" I said.

"I was trying to get these CRACKERS when the cereal went upside DOWN and all OVER the place!"   

"But you need to have breakfast not crackers!  Those are a snack!" I said. 

"Oh."

Alicia jumped up and said "I'll vacuum!  Mom, you go relax, you deserve to be lazy today."  Aww.  How sweet.  Except that our vacuum can only hold about 1-2 cups of Kix so I had to supervise and empty the canister a couple of times.  Those Kix really take up a lot of space.

Autumn helped too with her little broom and dustpan :)

It's full!

Afterwards I went to make my coffee, emptying out a previously used K-cup and putting in some Starbucks Vanilla coffee from a bag, dumping half the old grounds on the floor when trying to tap it out into the trash and causing me to curse a few times.  I finally got it taken care of and went to the Dollar General to buy a box of those nasty little (no refrigeration necessary) International Delight creamer cups, a box of nail glue, and a box of fake nails.

Alicia has a new obsession with fake fingernails since she cannot stop biting her real ones.  Yesterday I tried to put some fake ones on her with Krazy glue before reading that its a horrible idea and therefore within 10 minutes I soaked her hands in nail polish remover and took them off again.  She was after me this morning at 7:30 to get her some real nail glue.




Unfortunately the problem with putting fake nails on a 9 year old is that she won't stay still long enough to let them dry and set properly so she kept coming back to me with different ones that fell off from switching gears on her bike, opening the front door, etc.  Eventually they all came off and I told her we can try again maybe tonight so they can set while she's asleep LOL

No comments:

Post a Comment