Saturday, October 8, 2011

Crack Potting with Autumn

Little Autumn has been getting what I can only assume are night terrors every night since Tuesday of this week.  The first night I was able to deal.  Now it has been 4 nights and I'm starting to crack.  She never was up much as a baby.

Somehow in my foggy pre-coffee haze on Thursdsay (or was it Wednesday) I managed to recall that I had bought a slightly expensive cut of meat to make a pot roast with a few days earlier.  It was sitting in the fridge waiting to be remembered.  I hauled out the shiny unused in a few months crackpot and started dumping crap in.

Autumn wanted to see what I was doing and then said "Mommy!  I help?"  Part of me was saying "Go watch Nemo for the 800th time (probably not an exaggeration at this point) and let me be" and then I vaguely remembered blaming my mom for giving up trying to teach me to cook and pulled up the stool.



I tried to let her dump the Onion Soup Mix in but for some reason she was scared of it.  She tried to eat the raw potato as she thought it was an apple so that was a no go.  So I dumped the bag of baby carrots (yes I'm too lazy to buy the cheaper adult carrots and peel them.) into a dish and showed her how to throw them in.  "Its like throwing rocks into the lake, honey."  I said.

She likey that idea and started to pick up the carrots, one by one, and toss them in saying "I did it!  I did it!" with each one.



 There were about 60 carrots I would say, and since she had to do her victory dance after every win it took a little while.



8 hours later (hey, its a crackpot, it takes that long!) my husband was saying that it was the best meat he had had in a long time.  My friend Nancy says that is the secret (shhh).  Don't cook for your man for about 6 months and then when you do he finds it DELISH!  I have got this down pat.

4 comments: