Thursday, September 6, 2012

Relocating Monarch Chrysalis

I recently had a couple of people ask me how I was able to move the Monarch chrysalis from it's original habitat to wherever the heck I wanted to put it so I could photograph it.  Most of my caterpillars were raised in somewhat shallow tupperware and it only took one of them falling and flailing on the bottom to realize that they were not in a good spot.  I read several online articles written by others who had raised them and learned a neat trick.

First, I will say it helps to have two people involved in this process.  If you can have one person hold up the surface that the chrysalis is attached to it will be much easier to tie the thread around the cremaster.

Here is what you will need to do this:

White glue, do NOT use any other kind of glue but non-toxic white!  About 12" thread per chrysalis, and a pair of scissors.

Doing it by myself, I balanced the tupperware top in such a way that it was accessible to me but also was steady and wouldn't fall.



Taking a piece of thread I made a large loop, like I was going to tie a knot without pulling it tight.

I carefully "lassoed" the chrysalis

I pulled the knot closed and then did a double knot to make sure it was tight. 

Once it was tied I turned the lid on its side and placed a very small drop of glue right over the knot, making sure that I got some on the cremaster as well.  Its OK to lay the chrysalis flat for a minute or two.  Just be very gentle not to squeeze it when handling it directly.

Here you see the chrysalis and the white silky patch that firmly connects it to the lid.  This stuff is seriously strong.  You will need to gently scrape the edges with your fingernail to loosen it, but don't yank on the chrysalis until it is starting to peel off easily.  It makes a noise like when you peel a big ol' sheet of skin off a sunburn.

Try to bring as much of the silk with you when you pull it off.  



Take the silky stuff and kind of wad it up around the cremaster and get it in the glue.  This will doubly ensure that it is now firmly attached to the thread.  This baby isn't going anywhere!  The silk is very sticky.

Next, about 3-4 inches up from the top of the chrysalis, make a tight knot in the thread to form the loop that you will hook over whatever it is you want to hang it off.

Trim off the extra thread and you are ready to hang!

Deck the mums with loads of pupa!

2 comments:

  1. What a great post! I've really enjoyed your mo

    narch videos.

    Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you I'm so glad you liked them! It was so much fun and really made my summer :)

    ReplyDelete