Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer Vacation Diary: Crappy Art Edition

One thing that my daughters both really enjoy doing is creating a huge mess.  Luckily there is this thing called "Arts and Crafts" that allow you to make said mess but add glue!  When my 2 year old found a big box full of those shiny metallic plastic die cut thingamajiggies I figured "Hey, I'm a grown up now, I took art classes in college, maybe I can actually do something interesting with those!"
This is the result:

It is what one of my worst critics in college would call "Hippie Crap".  That sentiment echoes in my head every time I try do to anything artsy.  That a-hole really ruined my artistic self esteem.

Did putting the fake museum frame around it in Picasa make it look any better?  Didn't think so LOL  And I know you are dying to know what I made those fantastic clouds out of!  The answer is:  those round stickers you write prices on for your yard sale items!  Genius!  And yes its both day and night in my picture.  Hey its art, and you can't be wrong in art.

My other interest is painting.  I used to be pretty good at it.  Again, my best paintings were done in college around midnight when I was...inspired.  Watercolor is one of those things that can look amazing when done properly, and also the most washable paint ever.  This means I have tons of it.  I unfortunately have paper that calls itself "Watercolor Paper" but LIES!!!  Yesterday I tried to make a good painting, but was rushed.


Could be much much better.  I blame it on the bad paper.

Today I am considering breaking out the acrylics.  That is, if they aren't all dried up from sitting in storage for upwards of 3 years.  I found some canvases in the basement.  It looks like a good day to make some more Hippie Crap.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment